About Motorpoint Arena
The history of the venue
The building was officially opened by Her Majesty The Queen on 30th May 1991. The £34 million building was constructed in time to host the World Student Games, hosting concerts, ice shows, theatre style shows, ice hockey, sport, exhibitions and conferences.
DID YOU KNOW, YOU
CAN SAVE OUR APP TO
A FAST WAY TO VIEW
OUR SITE ANYTIME >
SIMPLY CLICK THE "GO" BUTTON AT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR SCREEN AND ADD TO HOME SCREEN.
- The building is home to the Steelers ice hockey team and hosts around 30 ice hockey games a season.
- The building’s longest running show to date was Les Miserables at 35 performances over a four-week period in May/June 1999. It was the first time the production had ever been staged in an Arena, with the building undergoing a major transformation over five days to create an intimate 3000 seater, theatre-style setting, starting with the removal of the building’s 8.3 tonne electronic scoreboard for the first time since the Arena opened in 1991. Over 4000 square metres of drapes and 3000 square metres of carpet were used to create an intimate auditorium using a small section of the Arena’s horseshoe seating. Riverdance previously held the record for longest running show, performing to around 55,000 patrons over 3 weeks in 1997.
- For 12 years Motorpoint Arena has hosted indoor International Supercross, and now Endurocross every year, which involves converting the Arena by over 100 truckloads dumping 2000 tons of soil on to the ice floor to create a six-lane dirt track.
- The building’s versatile indoor multi-purpose auditorium can easily accommodate audiences from theatre-style shows of 3,500 up to centre stage productions hosting audiences of 13,000.
- In June 2007 the Arena hosted the IIFA Awards Ceremony. The show often described as the Bollywood Oscars was seen by 500 million people in over 110 different countries.
- The Arena is operated by Sheffield International Venues (SIV), one of the largest sport, leisure and entertainment companies in the North of England. With 14 venues across the city of Sheffield, their aim is to promote Sheffield as an international and cultural centre in the areas of sport, leisure and entertainment - regularly hosting world class sporting and entertainment events, through to local activities for all the people of Sheffield.
- Managing the Arena on behalf of SIV is Live Nation - Live Nation is the world's largest live music company. They are the largest promoter of live concerts in the world, the second-largest entertainment venue management company and have a rapidly growing online presence. Globally, Live Nation own, operate, have booking rights for and/or have an equity interest in more than 160 venues. In 2006, they connected nearly 60 million fans with their favourite performers at approximately 26,000 events in 18 countries around the world.
- All of the world's biggest touring artisites and shows have played at the Motorpoint Arena - see if you can pick out your favourite amongst the selection of shows:- Paul Simon, Rod Stewart, Julio Iglesias, Bryan Adams, Sting, Eric Clapton, The Eagles, Harlem Globetrotters, KISS, Luciano Pavarotti, U2, Elton John, Neil Diamond, Torvill & Dean, Cliff Richard, Metallica, Shirley Bassey, Simply Red, Bruce Springsteen, Michael Bolton, Bon Jovi, Iron Maiden, Van Halen, Beach Boys, Prince, Aerosmith, Whitney Houston, Take That, Lenny Kravitz, Meat Loaf, Duran Duran, Garth Brooks, Diana Ross, Barry Manilow, Tom Jones, Phil Collins, Foreigner, Luther Vandross, George Benson, B B King, Van Morrison, Bob Dylan, Janet Jackson, Oasis, David Copperfield, Celine Dion, Blur, David Bowie, M People, The Stone Roses, Bjork, Pulp, The Cure, Michael Flatley's Lord of The Dance, Riverdance, Tina Turner, Lipizzaner Stallions, Backstreet Boys, Supertramp, Madam Butterfly, Les Miserables, Swan Lake, Culture Club, Human League, ABC, Heaven 17, Kenny Rogers, Robbie Williams, Blondie, Pet Shop Boys, Cher, The Who, AC/DC, Elvis The Concert, Neil Young, Roxy Music, The Monkees, Kylie, Destiny's Child, Nickelback, Russell Watson, David Gray, Paul McCartney, Counting Crows, James Taylor, Justin Timberlake, Christina Aguilera, Beyonce, Madness, Eddie Izzard, Jools Holland, Lee Evans, Shania Twain, Pink, Peter Gabriel, Lionel Richie, Avril Lavigne, Deep Purple, Will Young, Andrea Bocelli, REM, Anastacia, Judas Priest, Queen, Nelly, Daniel O'Donnell, Kelly Clarkson, Il Divo, Little Britain, Billy Joel, Razorlight, Muse, Scissor Sisters, Kasabian, Pussycat Dolls, The Killers, Dolly Parton, Faithless, Sugababes, BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2009, BBC Radio 1Xtra Live, Cirque Du Soleil, Cesar Millan, Walking With Dinosaurs, Green Day, Arctic Monkeys...